www.kabaddi.org
To develop and promote the sport of Kabaddi 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   Usergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
www.kabaddi.org

Off Season Training Part II- Gym Workouts!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

www.kabaddi.org Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sukhi
Veteran user

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Off Season Training Part II- Gym Workouts!

Off Season Training Part II- Gym Workouts!
As promised, I am including the Tuesday and Thursday portions of your workout for the Off Season. For those living in the cold tundras of the north- if you can find a gym that has an indoor basketball court- you can do all these exercises. Certainly, if you are in places like California, you should be able to take your gym workouts outside as well.

In Kabaddi, you should be a balanced athlete- no one thing is more important then the other- all forms of athletic ability play a part in being a great kabaddi player. I had a chance to read Lakha’s article and he mentions that you mostly need strength and speed. This is true no doubt but being the strategic player he is- he should have said that strategy also plays a lot in being able to anticipate in the game. Lakha uses nimble footwork to create the impression he is moving quickly on the attack with a goal to make a stopper nervous and attack early or move back until the boundary line. If you watch his game carefully he pushes as quickly as he can- the stop line to the boundary. When the stoppers have the least amount of options is when either he makes a touch or is perfectly on guard for an attack. In retrospect, you need precision focus to distract outside fan noise with a strategic framework for the game supported by a solid foundation in strength, speed, agility, balance, muscular endurance and stamina. It is a difficult task to teach focus and strategy without instructional videos, but I can help you to put together a plan to take care of the other equally important components.

So let us get started

Tuesday/Thursday- Gym Workout!
Portion One:
Stretching and Warm-Up
15-20 Minutes of stretching- I have already discussed the importance of stretching to full muscle development and injury prevention.
Run on the tread mill or outside at about a 8:30 mile pace for about 20 minutes

Portion Two:
Prep:
It is important to reduce the break time to prepare the gym with your exercises in a way that you are not wasting time setting up. The more stations you can organize prior to doing the drills the better you will get the benefit of the workout. Also find a partner or two if you can do the workouts.

30- 45 Minute Drill Session:
Step Dance (3 steps X 25) Stand beside a stair case that has at least three steps. As your standing facing parallel to the stairs, bring your fit together, squat to ¾ standing position. Squeeze your abdominals. Now jump with both feet together sideways to the first, second and third steps and come down the same way. This is considered one rep. Do this for 25 times.

Move to the next Station:

Step Ups X 25: Take a pair of dumbbells that are reasonable in weight for you do a lunge. If you have the aerobics steps- place them as high as a bench. You can use a bench if you like make sure it is stable. Also you can use stairs for this exercise. Face the bench, steps, or stairs. If you are using stairs for this exercise- try to step up to the second stair. Standing with dumbbells in your hands- feet shoulder with apart, Abs flexed and back straight, step up. Step up with one leg and stand with both legs at the top, come down with the same leg you stepped up with. Now step up again this time using your other leg. Do this 25 times in total.

Move to the next station

Shuttle Run Obstacle Course X 5: Place 5 pylons every ten yards in a straight line. Stand at about 10 yards from the first pylon. Sprint to the first pylon, do 25 ab crunches- get up and sprint to the next pylon do 25 pushups- full range and slow- stand up and sprint the third pylon- do super jumps. Super jumps are with your legs spread apart- toes facing outwards and squatting all the way down. From the full squat position leap straight up trying to get a nice vertical jump- land back with feet apart and toes out like your starting position. When you are doing this exercise put your hands in the air. Do 20 of this super jumps- sprint to the fourth pylon. At the fourth pylon- do grass drills. Grass drill is where you shuffle your feet on the same spot and after five shuffles you dive down to the ground and push up to stand up again. Football players do this exercise. Do 20 of these grass drills and sprint to the fifth pylon. Here your partner will be standing and you are going to do push offs. Stand in front of your partner and begin to push him back. You will be pushing back in the direction of the pylons and working your way to the second pylon. When you push- your partner will be giving you resistance. Your goal is to put your hands on his chest bring your body close to his and push off. Stop at the second pylon and walk back to the starting line take a minute break and do your next set. Do this five times in total.

Move to the next station:

Wheel Barrow Piggy Back X 5: You can use the area where you set up your pylons for the shuttle run. Stand at the starting line and go down in a push up position. Have your partner lift your legs like you are a human wheel barrow. Now walk with your hands and don’t move your butt and back so much. Keep you abs tight to have strict movement. Walk to the 40 Yard marker or the fourth pylon. Get up and put your partner on your back. Have him pull back a bit to give your more resistance. Now jog back to the starting line with him on your back. Switch up with your partner to give you rest for your next set. Do five of these.

Get a water break and rest for two to five minutes

Combative Routine: 15-20 minutes
Sparring or wrestling with your partner. Try not to be lazy because you are going to be tired. The goal is to push through your lactic acid build up and increase muscular endurance. Try to push yourself to wrestle strong- grappling, shooting for the leg, push and pull. Etc…

Portion Three: Stretch and Cool Down

For this portion, do a 15 minute light jog followed by stretching for another 10- 15 minutes.

That is it – Congrats.
Putt_Punjabi
World Class user

Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject:

no pics or videos?
Amo
World Class user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject:

Putt Punjab, I personally find your response very rude. Sounds like you don't appreciate the detailed descriptions given by Sukhi. Show some appreciation.
Putt_Punjabi
World Class user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject:

not trying to be rude
Amo
World Class user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject:

Sorry PP, it just sounded that way.
You have good suggestions about putting up pictures and videos of these training methods but that takes a lot of time and effort. Read through the descriptions and if something isn't clear or you have a hard time with any of the exercises just post a response and I'm sure Sukhi will be glad to give you further guidance.
Putt_Punjabi
World Class user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:

well im unclear about that pushing exercise. I understood the 5 step - drop, pushups & sit ups, but when you are pulling or pushing your partner, that was a little unclear.
sukhi
Veteran user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Hi Putt Punjabi,

I understand your point about videos and instructions. Perhaps I can get one made with Channi and Amo being the athletes. I am sure they would not mind having a go at it with each other for some of the drills. Amo does have a point that it is a difficult task but perhaps we can come up with some way the next time Amo, Channi and I meet up. Thank you Amo for acknowledging the effort it took to put this routine together. I only had good intentions for the people on this site wishing to be kabaddi players or to improve their game.

Your question regarding the pushing exercise is something I would like to clarify for you. Imagine if you will a person standing face to face in front of you. Now whenever you push you should be pushing with your legs and then through your abs and back and up through the shoulders and the arms. Thus, you need to get into a position where you can leverage the maximum strength of these muscle group areas. What you should do when you are doing this pushing exercise, is bend your knees so that you are in a 3/4 squat position. Squeeze your abs to keep your back firm and straight. Now put your hands on your partner's chest, just underneath his arm pits. Bring your body closer to his like you’re leaning on him and then push up with your legs to get extra force behind you. Than use your arms and shoulders to push your partner off you. Your partner will be applying resistance by pushing his weight onto as he will be leaning forward as well. Once you have pushed off, quickly move forward and go into your starting position and repeat. Keep repeating this exercise until you get to the 40 yard marker.

I hope this helps you to get a better understanding of the exercise.
Channi58
World Class user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Sukhi this is excellent advice in your training routines and we all on the kabaddi.org team appreciate your input on the site on the more "gray" areas in the game. It would be great to see one day the U-21's making it in the open game and coming back on the site advertising your routine that helped get them there. One thing I would like to say to the youngsters out there get off the couch and start training today because tomorrow comes fast, and before you know it, life will get in the way and you won't have the same time as you do now to train full out. So get out there and kick some butt! Another thing is that weights alone is useless, I interviewed Lakha one time and he told me he does along with the Olympic lifts (deadlifts, squats, snatchs etc), he does the bodyweight stuff pushups, chins and track and field training as well. Running, jumping, frog jumps, alligator walks etc. Another thing about speed training, that's really important in kabaddi so start sprinting for a good hour at a time (wind sprints, and for a better challenge sprint uphill-also run backwards, and sideways uphills too, you can jump squat up the hill, and do alligator walks and duck walks up as well as part of the one hour session). Regarding the hill training consider that hall of famers Hershcell Walker Tony Dorset used to run up hills for the legs only! They were known for incredible leg strength, Walker was famous for doing just pushups everyday 500 while watching tv.
As Sukhi said gyms alone aren't enough to make a great player but you gotta put in the time on the ground sparring and running etc.
Jatt4real
Veteran user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Sukhi veere I would like to commend you on behalf of all users at kabaddi.org. You put a whole lot of effort and not to mention time in putting these posts together. I just wanted to advise you that your efforts will not go unnoticed on my behalf Smile

SHUKRIYA veere!!!
sukhi
Veteran user

Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Thank you to all of you for nice words and the compliments you have paid me.

I have shared with my daughter what I have been doing on this site. She thinks it is interesting but she is a supportive girl. I have asked her to help me put an instructional video together. Perhaps in a few weeks we can do an amateur video and have the administrators of this site help in the editing of it. I still have to get the clearance from the administration of this site to even do this.

I will do a demonstration of each exercise and hope to not die in the process of doing so.

This is for the gym and weight room workouts! I have not done weights or the gym workouts in years but I will do my best!

Channi had made some really good suggestions - all of them I have built into my routines for players in the past.

I appreciate his energy but it needs to be put into a plan that will let you peak at the right time. My goal with all these posts is to help players peak for the summer season. The routines I have shared with you are to build a foundation- a strong foundation. I will in two months change your routines to further enhance your development. In February, I will provide a tapering routine that will get you in peak condition by May.

The exercises Channi mentioned will be incorporated into these routines and provided to you at a time that will help you get in the best conditioning for kabaddi season 2008.

My next post- in the middle of next week will be core building, followed quickly with Diet Plan.

This diet plan will change with the different stages of the off season training program.

Channi has shared with me whether or not a Coach’s Corner idea would be a good forum for the new kabaddi players to ask questions. I can entertain this idea potentially as well. I can have questions asked of me and at a certain time during the week I can fire back my answers.

My goal and this site's goal are to provide a forum for the development and enhancement of Kabaddi worldwide. Part of achieving that goal is to help people play the game and play it to the best of their abilities.

So like Channi said- go out there and kick some butt!!!
Channi58
World Class user

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject:

Sukhi what you have mentioned I forgot to add, that the sprinting is best as a peaking exercise, that is do it two months before the season starts, and do it two nights a week back to back. One way I used to it for judo, was Tuesday light Wednesday heavy (more time sprinting). That way only one session is pushing you into the muscular failure zone, the other the light day is a maintenance workout, this prevents overtraining the legs. Plus you get almost a week off to recover till the next leg workout, off course you will have your specific kabaddi training that works the legs in your "days off".

Remember stretching is utmost importance when you do maximum sprinting drills. Another drill to increase speed, is have pylons at certain distance on the ground, and have some one standing there dropping a ball and your goal to catch the ball before it hits the ground, concentrate on lengthening your stride by taking longer steps, and moving your arms in and out really fast, even exagerating the arm motion, both these will increase your speed over time. This drill is done by football trainers that charge $$$ to pro players. These exercises kick butt because in kabaddi and football you are not standing there seeing who can bench more, but are dynamically moving in an around the ground. This is not to say that you don't need to build strength as Sukhi said the foundation is the key. But don't get mislead that spending time in the gym is the best for sports because you need to get the ratio right-time spent on the ground and in the gym.
sukha_singh
World Class user

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject:

STICKY!

wow .. another great post and again this is my new routine. thanks so much to sukhi!! And if we get any videos going that would awesome!!! but if not no prob.. the descriptions are pretty straight forward. Now the only thing im waiting on is like sukhi if u can tell us about these supplements that are floating everywhere.. and alot of people taking them without knowing what is done. The only 'supplement' ive ever taken is the protein shakes such as Isoflex, but i know and alot of people probably know about other supplements such as big ones are creatine and glutamine. However, even i myself dont know what EXACTLY they do and how/when i should take them, so i dont bother but other people take these w/o knowing the effects and how to properly use them. I hope u are in the mix if u have time to make somtehing about supplements.. i mean for all uve done, i coulda just went to the internet and googled body building or something but the way you have presented it is special becasue its like ur apersonal coach... the views are coming from a kabaddi mind if u no what i mean. Thats why i think if u can give us a brief discussion on these supplements and there benefit alongside playing kabaddi, or are they like just gym supplements. Thanks very much again!!
Admin
World Class user

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:

Sukhi you have our support all the way. We still have to resolve some issues with our host regarding pictures and videos and may be moving to a new server so we can have unlimited space for movie files. Otherwise for the time being we can upload to google video and post the training articles/tips onto there own webpages. Video would be great for everyone but don't feel like your obligated to do all this. It's nice to have your daughter help but you should get your son involved as well, how could he not love kabaddi Smile

Speaking of videos Dr. T our health and injury related adviser has posted some very informative videos on youtube. Kinetic Health Online
sukhi wrote:
... I still have to get the clearance from the administration of this site to even do this...

sukhi
Veteran user

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Thank you to all of you for your kind words and encouragement. I will first focus on what Sukha asked. He wanted to know about supplements and which one to take or not take. Supplements are like jeans these days- there are so many different brands and variations because the producers know that there is a huge demand. I have never been one for supplements but do know that genetically our bodies are all different and what we respond to in terms of diet, training and supplements will vary from person to person. Sometimes these things are best determined by trial and error. The key thing is to focus on what your goal is. I find that people have a number of goals that may conflict with each other. For example, there may be some who want to look body builders and at the same time have the strength of a power lifter but play as nimbly like a football running back. The training and diet for all three are different and may conflict with your desired goals. Also, patience is important in development- in a world of instant gratification and results, no wonder supplements are selling like hotcakes. Development of the body to perform the way you desire is a science and combines a multi- tiered strategy.

I will be focusing on diet for kabaddi in my next feature here. It will give you a generic program that will help you to determine how and when to eat. Timing and quantity of the types of food is critical to support your development. You can drink all the protein shakes you want but if it is not done at the right time it will not matter.

In so far as the video is concerned, I will have to work on it over a few weeks. In the mean time, I would encourage those who want to start this program to just go out and do it!

My daughter is better with the movie camera and so the production will be slightly better. I am friends with a couple of ex Washington Redskins players and perhaps I will be able to get a pro football player to demonstrate the routines. Otherwise, you’re going to have to see the old man do them.

Both my kids enjoy watching my excitement for kabaddi. My son can watch it and enjoys the good matches. My daughter on the other hand thinks it’s too primitive and gladiator like.
Channi58
World Class user

Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Sukhi were you going to work in the Indian diet into the program or maybe a separate section each for western diet, and indian diet? In particular the old wrestler's diet in India of milk and almonds as an example. That would be cool to see your thoughts on both sides.
       www.kabaddi.org Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: